Access to Shopping Street
Train: Umeyashiki Station (Keihin Kyuko Line)
Bus: Tohoidai bus stop (Keihin Kyuko bus No.森50 (Running from Omori to Kamata))
Umeyashiki Baikoukai Cooperative
〒143-0015 Tokyo Ota City Omori-nishi 6-13-17
plumall Umeyashiki Shopping Street
This shopping street is located in the central area of Ota City.
It stretches for 555 meters starting from the No. 1 district near Umeyashiki Station to the No. 5 district, just before the Toho-Idai Road, and there are about 140 stores along it.
In the Edo Period, this area was just a farm village with many palm trees.
There was a line of stores, and they sold products such as seaweed, dried palm, and highly skilled products made by knitted straw. There were also rest houses along it.
Palm Park, called “Wachusan”, was established by a drug store owner, and it became very popular, that a general (Shogun) and the later Emperor visited the park.
This place is now called the Umeyashiki Park. In Meiji Period (1868-1912), there were lots of stores along the shopping street, and Umeyashiki-Baikokai was established at the early part of the Showa Era (1926-1989).
It was devastated by the war and the many Tokyo air raids, but it revived dramatically after the war.
In the year Showa 56 (1981), the shopping street was designated as a model of shopping street by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government because Baikokai shopping area was very popular due to its many community activities.
Many people love the shopping street, and many renovations have been made over time, such as the community center, pavement that is the color of the road, street light and sound systems.
The origin of “Pula Mall”
The nickname “Pula Mall” became popular in the year Showa 57 (1982) and Pula Mall Umeyashiki was chosen out of 350 applications as one of the best. The reason was because it is easy to pronounce and Pula sounds similar to “Palm”.
At the opening ceremony held in the year Showa 59, Ms.Kawasaki Hatsu, the winner of the contest, received a diamond as a token.
History of Umeyashiki and Umeyashiki Shopping Streets
Houei Era (around 1704 to 1710)
Three drug stores appeared here. It was just a rest place in the Edo period
Early Bunsei Era (around 1820)
Kyuzaburo, the son of Yamamoto Chuzaemon of Wachuusan, planted lots of palm trees in his house and started a tea shop. Since then, it was called Umeyashiki and became very popular.
The year Meiji 34, February 1 (1902)
Umeyashiki Station was opened by the Keihin Railway Company
The year Taisho 7 (1919)
The eastern part of the park was reduced to widen the Dai Ichi Keihin Line.
End of Taisho Era
The shape of the shopping street was formed around the station.
Early Showa Era
Umeyashiki-Baikokai was established.
The year Showa 6 (1931)
Tokyo Haneda Airport was established.
The Manchurian Incident began.
The year Showa 16 (1941)
Japan-USA war broke out.
The year Showa 20 (1945)
It was destroyed by many Tokyo air raids.
The year Showa 28 (1953)
Street lights were built on the street for the first time
The year Showa 31 (1956)
Umeyashiki-Baikokai Shopping street was established. Baiko-Community center was open
The year Showa 40 (1965)
Its number reached 64 stores.
The year Showa 53 (1978)
Ume-Stamp Project started.
The year Showa 56 (1981)
It was designated as a model shopping street in Tokyo.
The year Showa 57 (1982)
The nickname was decided as “plumall Umeyashiki”.
The year Showa 58 (1983)
The Community Center was established.
The year Showa 59 (1984)
Pavement that is the color of the road for 555 meters, three arches and 36 street lights was completed.
An opening ceremony was held on May 20th.
Its store number reached 155 stores.
The year Heisei 5 (1993)
The new Haneda Airport Terminal opened.
The Memorial Magazine designated the street as a model shopping street in Tokyo. Pula Mall Umeyashiki Vol.1 was issued (the Showa 59 (1984))
- Messages from Kondo Shozaburo, chairman of Baikokai, Suzuki Toshikazu (Tokyo Governor) and Amano Koichi (Ota City Mayor) were given.
- A first step as New Umeyashiki
- History of Umeyashiki by Nikura Yoshiyuki, a chief priest of Dairinji-temple)
- The transition of Umeyashiki with old pictures
- An interview of Suzuki Masayuki, a main vocal of the famous band “RATS & STAR” (Interviewer :Aoyama Hikaru)
Memorial Magazine of the 10th anniversary as designated as the model of shopping streets in Tokyo Pula Mall Umeyashiki Vol.2 was issued (the year Heisei 6 (1994))